Sunday, January 23, 2011

Deacon Ordination

Travis was asked to serve as a deacon at our church. Growing up I have seen several people become ordained. Each time I felt a since of pride as well as God's love surrounding the person. I have never felt so proud of Travis as I did this day. We feel very blessed that God wants to use him to serve. Travis did not feel worthy of the position, however, he was willing. That is what God asks of each of us, that we are willing to do our best to love, serve, and represent Him.
This is a letter written by our pastor at Kings Mountain Baptist. It was a surprise to Travis during the service:

Dear Pastor Cottrell and my brothers and sisters of Pearce Baptist Church,
Greetings! Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I learned recently that you have selected Travis Smith as deacon and will be ordaining him this coming Sunday. I would love to be there. I would like to offer this word of affirmation for Travis' selection and a word of encouragement to him. Travis came into my life as a youth. I have seen him handle adversity in the death of both parents. I have seen him develop spiritually into a man who loves the Lord and wishes to serve him. I have watched him make a wise selection of a godly woman in Laura for his wife. I have witnessed the two of them serve our Lord together in Romania. My only regret is that they are not still in Kings Mountain.

Travis, I love you and am proud of you. In truth, the First Baptist family is proud of you. The deacon position is an honor, because your Church family has selected you. But more than an honor, it is a post of responsibility. Be to Mark, your pastor, what you have always been to me-a friend. Be to the membership of the Church what you accepted when you accepted the position of deacon- a servant. Be to the community what they need- an example and faithful witness of Christ.

It is with deep affection and great joy that I join the Pearce Baptist Church family in thanking God for Travis and Laura and pledging my prayer support.

Thankfully His, Sincerely Yours
Bro. Chip Sloan
It was very special that Travis was ordained on the day that we dedicated our baby girl. I am so happy that my children have a daddy that loves Jesus, enjoys church, spends time reading his bible, and prays for our family.

Blessed is the man who trusts the Lord...He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth fruit in its season; whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:3



2 comments:

  1. this made me cry...what a special time for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Courtney...it was a special day! I miss you and really hope we can get our boys together soon!

    ReplyDelete