After having Tyson I did not think I would ever be able to use the words "job" and "joy" in the same sentence, however, God has blessed me beyond measure with a job situation that I absolutely love! I am "job sharing"with my best teaching 'buddy' Jessica. She and I both taught first grade together last year and became great friends, along with our husbands...and soon our babies. We were pregnant together and her sweet baby boy, Carter was born just 7 weeks after Tyson. We have even more fun being 'mommies' together and our boys are 'best friends', so we have decided. Neither of us could imagine going back to work full time. She had asked me if I was interested in job sharing, but I did not think we could afford to cut my income in half (aaah, I am still not sure we can...). In the mean time, she decided not to go back to work....DEVASTATION struck me. I could not bear to go back without her! I had even thought about looking for jobs doing something different. I have always been interested in teaching teacher education at a community college, so I called several to inquire about the possibility. I talked to a lady at a local CC, who informed me that I would be qualified, but she did not have any positions available. Two weeks later she tracked me down (I had not left my number) to offer a part-time position teaching classes ONLINE. It sounded perfect! With this opportunity I could supplement my income and perhaps work part time! I called Jess to see if she would still be interested in job sharing...she was in! Lots of details needed to be worked out, but we made it work!
We now share a first grade class...and love it! We teach every other day (MWF one week, TTH the next week). I focus on writing and reading on my days and she focuses on Math, Science, and Social Studies. It is fantastic! Our class is so wonderful. I really have loved going back to work (what in the world, I can't believe it)! We also are 'sharing a sitter'! My cousin, Amy, keeps the boys on our working days. She is an angel and loves them both so much! She has older children, so the boys get her total attention all day! Tyson smiles so big when he sees her in the morning. Jess and I are having so much fun together!! I am so lucky to have this amazing situation!
God is so good and I could not be more grateful for the time I have to "hang out" with my boy!

Laura!!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful!
Are you in the public school doing this?
I am so happy for you.
This is also a wonderful thing for your school to do for y'all and for the children (they don't have to lose talented and passionate teachers).
Congrats! on making it work. :)
That's GREAT!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey buddy! We are so lucky aren't we! My mom keeps asking 'who are you and what have you done with my daughter?' since I'm always so happy when we talk! Certainly wasn't that way last year! Only problem - I miss you a ton when I'm there alone. We can do this until we retire right?
ReplyDeleteIt really is great...especially with you buddy! Susan, it is in Wake County and I LOVE IT!!! (until the end of the month when the money runs out...we will survive!)
ReplyDelete