Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Story of Her Birth...

December 30, 2010
I woke up feeling so happy and peaceful. We got ready (Travis loved the part when I was frantically cleaning the bathroom counters, really?) and loaded the car. Did we really need so much stuff?
Although I was nervous, I was so excited to meet our baby girl!


We arrived at the hospital-on time (wow)!

First of all, I found it so funny to go stand in line to have a baby!

Mom was with us, being supportive as always. I had just found out that I was going to have to wait to have bloodwork done (something I hate more than anything). We waited for half an hour and it turns out I should have been directed immediately to L & D triage! Oh well!

Next we waited in triage until time for the surgery. My doctor had informed me that 80% of the women who have cecereans with a first child, end up with a repeat for the second. I decided that I would avoid the "labor" and just "deliver"--at least one thing that I could schedule!
Soon I was asked to WALK into the Operating Room (I found this to be so odd, to just walk in there). I was given a spinal block (not fun) and then the room became a whirlwind of activity. I remember hearing a nurse name over all of the various tools that would be used on me (wierd)! Soon Travis was allowed to come in. I was very calm and did not experience any of the fear that I had when Tyson was born. My sweet doctor, Dr. Bass, was very relaxed and carried on conversation with me as if we were sitting on my couch!

Very soon Dr. Bass told Travis to stand up to see Baby Juel's birth! He even held her up for me to see! It was a sweet moment of joy! Juel Elizabeth Smith was born at 11: 19 a.m.!

It seemed to take quite a while to finish in the OR. Travis spent time watching Juel be cared for by the nurses. She weighed 8 pounds, 10 ounces (althought this weight was later disputed because she was an entire pound lighter 12 hours later) and was 21 1/2 inches long.

I had finally met my sweet daughter! I am looking forward to a lifetime of love and friendship with her! It was truly love at first sight! It is hard to comprehend the expansion of my heart to love a second child as much as I love this little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment