Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Babies Names


For as long as I can remember I have thought about baby names. I can even remember buying a name book at a school book fair when I was little (not sure why a baby name book was at a school book fair, but I had it!). My baby dolls all had names, some even had birth certificates. I wrote about names in my diary and talked about them with my step-sister and friends. As a teacher I have taught rosters full of names, some lovely and others, well, unique! My season girls and I always talked about naming babies. I just loved imagining what I would name my babies...even before I knew their what their last name would be. Then finally...I got to choose names and write them on a birth certificate! Both times this felt like a huge responsibility. I wanted names that I love, but also with a special meaning. I love the choices we made. I love saying their names, hearing their names, doodling them on paper, typing them on the computer screen, and especially seeing them on monograms.

Tyson Olin Smith

Juel Elizabeth Smith

Tyson- a "T" name for Travis and my daddy "T"err"Y"
Olin-Travis's dad's name and his own middle name

Now he can say his name and it is precious. When he looks in the mirror he happily says "Tysie"! It is adorable!

Juel-for Grandma Edith "Juel"
Elizabeth-for Travis's Grandma Eleanor "Elizabeth" and my middle name "Beth"


I love her name so much! I realize that it will likely be mispronounced and I will never find a toothbrush that says it, but we live in the age of personalization and I could not love it more!

2 comments:

  1. Great cupcake outfit! Names are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to find a toothbrush or a Christmas ornament with "Emerson" on it. But like you, I imagined what my child's name would be as long as I can remember and I remember when I first settled on Emerson. I used to think it would Emerson Jade, don't know why I loved Jade, but I did. Glad I didn't go with Jade, but so happy we went with Emerson. It was my Grandaddy's middle name.

    ReplyDelete