Monday, December 12, 2011

What to say...

Well, most of my friends know, but just in case, my sweet mom had breast cancer. Last Thursday she had a bilateral mastectomy. Prior to the surgery I just did not know what to say. She is my mom! My best friend. My children's only grandparent. I love her so much and have ALWAYS (seriously as long as I can remember) worried that something would happen to her. As a child I would pray that God would never let me live one minute without her. I think rapture would work out just fine for us!

So when we found out that she had cancer, at first I was just frozen. We quickly kicked into gear with appointments. At the first oncology appointment, me, Micahel, and Travis all surrounded her to hear what we already knew. Next we went to "big Duke" (mom's hospital where she works is part of the Duke system so that's what they call Duke University Medical Center--ooh it hurts just to type that). It was an experience that needs its own post. We went there hoping to have a plan...we left without one. The next week we met with a wonderful doctor in Raleigh as well as with a kind plastic surgeon. We made a plan! After thinking and praying mom decided to have a mastectomy with reconstruction. Then we really kicked into high gear. We cleaned, organized, shopped, wrapped, decorated...and were all ready for Christmas before December 1st. In the mean time mom had to go to the eye doctor (several times for new contacts), her gyn doctor for her scheduled appointment and the dentist (where she found out she had to immediately have a tooth pulled). She also got a sinus infection and had to see her family doctor, then later an ENT. She had to have a chest x-ray, bloodwork, and pre-op appointments.   In addition, mom was facing her first holiday season without Grandma Juel and in the process of trying to sell and clean out her beloved homeplace.  It was A LOT! Really just too much to even believe! We made it through Thanksgiving and enjoyed a wonderful day together. Shortly we found out that my cousin was goig to buy Grandma's house and we were overjoyed! It is truly an answered prayer. I worked hard at school to prepare for a exteneded substitute and also a huge second grade Christmas performance. It was whirlwind time. Finally...it was time for surgery.

That morning mom and I both woke up feeling peaceful. We both slept surprisingly wonderul. It was very obvious that friends and family were praying! We enjoyed a morning of snuggling with our sweet babies. (Mom's biggest saddness about this whole thing is missing time with Tyson and Juel. They love each other so much!) Soon it was time to go to the hospital. We checked in at 12:30. She had a sentinal lobe injection at 1:30 (That is when they inject dye into her breast ducts to detect the lymph nodes it travels to. Those are the nodes that are removed and tested during the surgery.If any are cancerous, more are removed and it also indicates the need for radiation and chemotherapy.) Soon after she was given loopy medicine! Pastor Mark said a sweet prayer. Then Michael, Travis and I hugged her as they wheeled her back...

It was a LONG 5 hours! We had lots of family with us (Aunt Karen, Uncle David, Uncle Hill, Aunt Faye, Uncle Myron, Aunt Barbara, Aunt Tillie, Benda) and so many of mom's hospital friends. Everyone kept calling her a VIP! I also had more phone calls and texts than I can count. It is so great to know that she is so loved. After 3 hours the surgeon came out to tell us that the mastectomy was complete and the nodes were clear! Praise the Lord!! We were so happy! Then we continued to wait for the reconstruction process to begin. (This doctor placed temporary implants behind mom's chest muscles and over the next few weeks will inject them with sailene to slowly stretch the muscles/skin. Then they will be removed and the implant will be placed. ) Finally he came out to say she was in recovery! Praise the Lord!! We had to wait for one hour to see her. As we were walking to her room we actually saw her being wheeled down the hall. She smiled and we were all so happy! Praise the Lord! Finally we got her settled in her room. I was so glad to be with my mama again. Michael joked that it was the longest we have ever gone without talking! Ha! Ha! I stayed with her through the night. She did great, sleeping most of the time. The next morning she was a little sick when she first started to walk. By the afternoon she was ready to leave the hospital. Praise the Lord! Her first night at home she slept very good. I set my alarm to check on her every three hours and left her with a bell to get me if she needed anything. (It felt kind of like having a newborn baby again!) We have had so many nice visits. Many have sent flowers, cards, messages and FOOD. We have been so blessed by tons of delicious food. I have also been comforted by our special "Aunt Lu Lu" taking care of the babies, so we had no worries at all. (No one will every have a babysitter that loves any more that she does. I am so lucky!) They also have been treated to a holiday adventure with Pat Pat and got lots of attention at church. Tyson is doing a great job being careful of Gee's "boo boo".   Mom continues to get better each day. We will have a follow-up appointment this week and hope to hear from pathology soon.  Her recovery is just amazing me, but it should not. My mom is the strongest most amazing person I have ever know. Her awesome faith in God has always been her cornerstone. He has been with us every moment and believe it or not, we are already having fun:


PRAISE THE LORD!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Laura Beth...
    This post just brought me to tears. All of the struggles leading up to her surgery (the dentist, the ENT, etc.)...just that part made me so upset for you all. But, Hallelujah! Your sweet momma is such a trooper & you are such an amazing daughter- what a blessing you are to her, I'm sure. I know I'm far away, but please let me know if I can do anything, and how I can continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the lord indeed, Laura! I have been saying prayers for you and your mama, glad to hear that it all has turned out okay! :)

    ReplyDelete