Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tyson is Born
















I loved being pregnant with Tyson! The week before he was born was very exciting..."nesting" and preparing for his arrival. After a doctors appointment on Monday, April 6- when I had high blood pressure and actually had to go over to the hospital for tests-an induction was schduled to begin Thursday night. Travis and I were so excited! We arrived at the hospital around 9:00. I was given a foley cathedar and a wonderful sleeping pill to begin the process. Everything would begin the next morning...

April 10, 2009- This would be Tyson's birthday!!I was given petocin around 7:00 a.m. to begin the labor process. We met our wonderful nurse, Kelly, who would be with us for the entire day. She was amazing and truly made the process so relaxed and calm. Doctor Hardin would be my doctor. He is a very kind and patient man. Mom- the excited grandma-to-be arrived around 8:00. She was so much help. I slept for most of the morning. Contractions began around noon...just as "Uncle Jeff" arrived! The contractions did not hurt as much as I had anticipated...until around 5:00! At this time I was dialated to 6cm and 90% efaced...thus it was time for the amazing epidural! I was very scared about it, but completely OVER IT at this point! Dr. Hardin administerd the epidural and it did not hurt at all!! However, it also did not work. Nurse Kelly called anestesia for another epidural and Travis smartly suggested narcotics in the meantime. The second epidural worked---oh how it worked! It was fantastic!!!! It was just unreal to have contractions and not even feel a thing! During this time we were told that my labor was not progressing as it should, the baby was being monitored, and cesarean was being considered. I was really upset about this, so I continued to hope for progress. At 7:00 I was told that I in fact would need to have a c-section to deliver Tyson...

This is when things were crazy! I was so scared as they began to prep me for surgery. The anesteisa nurse came to ask at least 1000 questions (that I had answered at least twice before) and to inform me that I could die in surgery...great! Lots of people were in and out of the room and things seemed to be happening very fast. Because it was shift change, Kelly had to leave. She asked permission to stay, but could not, so I had to get a new nurse. We were both very sad about this. And, I was told that my mom could not go with us to operating room. She is always such a comfort to me, so I was very sad that she could not be with me during the scariest moments of my life! Travis and I were both very anxious. I had started shaking uncontrollably and crying. He got dressed up in scrubs and we were off to the OR...so I thought! The "we" became me because he was not allowed to go in at first. So now...here I am- by myself, in the harshly bright operating room, shaking out of control, being TIED DOWN, with a curtain covering my face and oxygen mask on...dear Lord it was not a good scene!!! When Travis walked in he looked ashen and scared to death. Surgery was underway and all of this craziness would soon disappear with the first cry of our new son! I remember that I kept asking if everything was OK, as I continued shaking and begging for ice chips! After what seemed like forever, Tyson Olin Smith was born at 7:37! Travis was allowed to go over to see him as the nurses weighed him and cleaned him up. He quickly returned to my side (and incidentally saw EVERYTHING as the doctor was finishing my surgery) to show me pictures of the baby. A few minutes later, he brought the baby to see me. It was a moment I will never forget...looking into his bright eyes for the very first time, knowing that God had given me this amazing gift to love and care for. I was overwhelmed! It was as if the world stopped and my real life began! And-it has been perfect ever since...

We were blessed to have mom, Jeff and Michael waiting for us when I was released from recovery. (In fact they all held the baby before I did aaah!!! Uncle Mike is very proud!) The next three days in the hospital are a blur to me now! We had lots of visitors-Morgan Gay and Brandy, Grandma Raye, Aunt Pat and Anna, Kim, Leigh Ann and Shannon, Jessica and Jame Budacki, Uncle Jerry, Deborah, Sarah and Nolan, Pastor Mark, Allen, Crystal and Miss Irene, Aunt Karen and David, Jeff and Michael, and mom was with us almost the entire time! Another blessing was having a special visitor, Nancy White, Crystal's mother-in-law. She works at WakeMed and constantly checked on us. It made us feel so good to have her support. We had lots of phone calls and messages welcoming baby T! It was so wonderful to have so many people show Tyson love! We also had very kind nurses and doctors to check on me and the baby. It was a very special time for Travis and me! It was soon time for us to go home- with our baby boy...

(Note: I have wanted to document all of this since Tyson's birth. I've been just a little busy-ha ha! I am planning to catch up with the baby's first month--that we celebrated on Mother's Day! It was a very special day that I will post about later! Thanks for being patient!)

No comments:

Post a Comment